A security operations center or SOC is a centralized team in an organization that monitors the IT network for incidents and supports the cyber security response process.
A post by Cameron Krivanek on the Security Boulevard website (https://securityboulevard.com/2021/08/7-considerations-for-establishing-an-effective-soc/) lists the best practices for an effective SOC.
- Understand the feasibility, including budget constraints and need for staffing.
- Determine what services the organization needs and desires.
- Develop use cases and data sources for monitoring and compliance.
- Choose cohesive and flexible technologies.
- Select whether you want a dedicated (in house), outsourced or hybrid SOC.
- Define measurable and relevant metrics.
- Integrate documentation into the process.
A properly planned and implemented SOC is an organization's first line of cyber security defense.