A post on the Cyber Security Intelligence website (https://www.cybersecurityintelligence.com/blog/five-data-security-trends-organisations-must-deal-with-6717.html) lists trends in data security to watch in 2023.
- A significant software-as-a-service (SaaS) outage (e.g. Microsoft 365) could have a major impact. Companies relying on SaaS need third party systems to protect their data. Backup copies on different media, including one copy offsite, are needed.
- In spite of inflation, cutting costs on data protection is harmful. With the average cost of a data breach at $9.44 million, budget cuts must be made with care.
- Allocate security budgets to include data backup and recovery in the event your system is breached.
- Protect data at risk from remote workers. Look for low cost solutions to protect and backup remote data.
- If you use cloud backup and recovery services, be sure they track all CO2 emissions in their supply chain.