According to cyber security firm Halock, in 2021 there will be a ransomware attack every 11 seconds. Estimated cost of these attacks is $20 billion. The third quarter of 2020 saw a 40% increase globally over the prior year, almost 200 million attacks. In the United States alone there were 145 million attacks - a 139% increase.
There are technical ways to prevent ransomware. According to Halock:
- Block Power Shell for standard users.
- Use the latest hardware and software - older systems are more vulnerable.
- Use email security, supplemented by cybersecurity awareness training.
- Have a backup and recovery strategy, with periodic sensitive data scans.
- Consult outside experts for recommendations and assistance.
Wherever possible, do not pay ransom. You may not get your data back, and you encourage bad actors including rogue nations. Payment may violate laws and subject you to sanctions.